Lang Hill House
Location: Washington County, New York
Period: c. 1860
Lang Hill is a circa 1860 farmhouse near the New York - Vermont border in Washington County, New York. At the time the client approached MCWB in 2011, the existing house had suffered from years of neglect, however, original features such as the sunburst tympanum, original interior staircase with faux wood graining, wood trim and paneling, and the structure were in sound condition. MCWB was commissioned to restore and update the historic farmhouse, install all new building systems, and to add additions to accommodate modern living conveniences. The main house features three newly constructed fireplaces, salvaged and reused architectural elements, Isle LaMotte stone floors, and a new red slate roof.
The new addition to the rear of the house incorporates space for a modern, light-filled kitchen, and a family room with scenic views of the countryside. In addition to work on the main house, an existing barn was moved to the site from an adjacent property and re-erected to provide space for a car garage, a wood-fired boiler plant to provide heat to the main house, and a home office space in the upper floor of the structure. MCWB also participated in the planning and extensive development of the site including stone retaining walls, roads, and a built-in pool.